I love, love, LOVE barbecue – and living in the South, it’s something that I have always had readily available. But the sugar in the sauces made the carbs and calories through the roof! Well, God bless Hungry Girl for creating a recipe for low-calorie and semi-low-carb Pulled Pork! Here are the stats (per serving):
- 220 calories
- 6g fat
- 540 mg. sodium
- 16g carbs
- 1g fiber
- 12g sugars
- 24g protein
- POINTS value – 5
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup (I use Reduced Sugar Ketchup to lower the calories a bit more)
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. brown sugar (I use the Splenda blend of brown sugar, again, to lower calories a bit more)
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups sliced onion, cut into 2-inch strips
- 3/4 lb. raw lean boneless pork tenderloin, trimmed of excess fat
- 3/4 lb. raw boneless pork shoulder (the leanest piece you can find), trimmed of excess fat
- Optional: crushed red pepper (I didn’t use this)
- To make the sauce, place all ingredients except onion and pork in the crock pot. Stir until mixed. Add onion and pork and coat well with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours OR on low for 7-8 hours, until pork is fully cooked.
- Remove all of the pork and place it in a large bowl or on a large cutting board. Shred each piece using two forks.
- Return the shredded pork to the crock pot and mix well with the sauce.
- Serve on thin, multi-grained buns or with no bread for lower carbs/calories; can also serve with Hungry Girl’s coleslaw