I have recently become intrigued more and more by all of the cooking classes available to the average Joe, like you and I, at reasonable fees….it’s just a matter of finding them, signing up for them, paying the fee, and attending! Many people that I know often say that they wish that they knew how to cook some of the stuff that I do, or that they had time to cook. Well, here you go – take two hours out of your life, grab your best friend, husband/wife, sister, group of friends (you get the point) and just go do it! There are many markets around town – and around the country for that matter – that offer fun, inexpensive cooking classes by real chefs, so why not take advantage of it? I started doing research of some of the markets around Dallas that offer classes and found a plethora of availability, just in December alone. Once I did that, making myself a list of the market and the classes they offer, I thought how cool it would be to audit some of these classes in order to write various pieces on how they go, as well as take some kickin’ food pics at the end of the class to show the end results.
So this week, while shopping at Whole Foods, I decided to see if the main Chef-in-Charge was there and available, and introduced myself. He was super friendly (Chef Jason Campbell), and more than happy to let me come to any of the classes that I want to do some write-ups on them and take photos. He said that the classes are typically small, but that it makes for a fun & relaxed atmosphere…especially when they serve wine! He then went a step further for me and ran to the back to print out a schedule of his remaining classes for the month of December. All I have to do is send him an email and let him know which ones that I want to attend – easy peasy! Here is a list of the remaining classes, prices, and how to sign up:
- Friday, December 10th – Couples Cooking Class ($25 per person). “Great date night for couples!” Couples will cook Sweet Potato Soup w/Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Steak w/Piquet Italian Salsa Verde, Chicken w/Le Gruyere, Sage, and a Pan Sauce. Also to include a seasonal dessert, and wine pairing samples with each entrée.
- Monday, December 13th – Singles Cooking Class ($25 per person). “Join Chef Jason for a great way to learn to cook for one and possibly meet a like-minded person.” Attendees will prepare an easy appetizer, Peruvian Style Roasted Chicken, and Beef Stroganoff. Also to include a seasonal dessert, and wine pairing samples with each entrée.
- Tuesday, December 14th – Holiday Pastry Class ($15 per person). “Finally, a pastry class! Come join Chef Kate from the bakery as she instructs on breakfast pastry.”
- Friday, December 17th – New Year’s Eve Cocktail Party Starters ($20 per person). “Get ready to throw a party that will knock your friends’ socks off!” Attendees will prepare appetizers, champagne cocktails, and mini desserts.
- Saturday, December 18th – Kid’s Holiday Cookie Class ($5 per person). “We will be cutting out cookies in our favorite shapes, baking, and decorating them.” Times available for THIS CLASS ONLY: 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM, 4 PM, and 5 PM.
Whole Foods Market – 2201 Preston Rd., Suite C / Plano, Tx. 75093
*Class sizes are limited; reservations required
*Classes begin at 6:30 PM (unless otherwise noted), and typically last approximately 2 hours
Contact Chef Jason Campbell to enroll or with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org